Looking to unlock your leadership potential? Find out more about Leadership Pulse!
Our dynamic modular course is packed with real-life examples from cultural and corporate experts, grounded in experiential learning. You’ll gain the essential skills and competencies needed for personal and professional growth in today’s cultural sector, including confidence, resilience, and clarity of purpose. Discover your unique strengths as a leader and build on them, while also gaining new skills to drive positive change.
Leadership Pulse Includes:
- Our two-month course consists of two five-day residential workshops with coaching and facilitated online sessions between modules.
- Course Content – The curriculum covers three main areas
- Leading Yourself: Exploreing self-leadership and learning around your personal qualities such as values, drivers and authenticity. Through leadership profiling and facilitation you will start to build an understanding of leadership styles and value difference in approaches.
- Leading Others and Managing Resources: Assessing context and managing resources are essential skills for cultural leaders today. Here content explores practical subjects including strategic business planning, financial management, building high performance teams, governance and inclusive leadership.
- Leading Change: Cultural leaders today are operating in a world with heightened uncertainty, volatility and complexity, so now more than ever the ability to navigate change is central to a leader’s role. This course looks at some of the skills and agility required to lead through uncertainty.
Why Choose Leadership Pulse?
Leadership Pulse offers time and space to process individual learning, with several weeks scheduled between each residential. Each module is packed with tools, tips and new skills to take away and road test back in the workplace while they are still fresh in the mind.
By attending the course you will be equipped with the skills and competencies to drive positive change in the sector such as: confidence, resilience, and clarity of purpose. You will better understand your strengths as a leader and how to build on them; gain confidence in your existing skills and learn new ones.
Our Approach to Leadership Development:
We understand that people learn in different ways and the course design reflects this. It blends practical skills and tools, real-life examples and individual and group learning. There are also opportunities to listen to cultural leaders talk about their experiences of leadership, and what they have learned along the way. Sharing and learning from each other is strongly encouraged.
Key aspects of our approach include:
- Values of excellence, inclusivity and learning are at the core of our approach;
- We strive to create a positive learning environment with spaces that are safe, open and inclusive and with your wellbeing considered throughout your course;
- Participants are supported to learn from their peer group and from a diverse range of highly experienced leaders and trainers from across and beyond the cultural sector;
- Life-long learning is key to self-leadership. With facilitated learning reviews throughout the course you are encouraged to cultivate a practice of regular reflection, enquiry, debate and action;
- You will be supported to identify your strengths, your values and areas for further development.
Around your residentials there will be the opportunity to continue your learning with facilitated online small group conversations and coaching. These virtual connections enable you to continue the conversations and networks that you started during the residential and embed your learning.
Doing Leadership Pulse was absolutely transformative! If you want to drive change through authentic leadership, this is for you! I’m grateful to have met amazing people and to be part of this fantastic network of leaders!Dr Liliana Araújo
We are looking for a diverse range of participants who will bring a breadth of experience to the course and animate the group learning. To help us create the best possible mix of people we will be looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
- At least five years’ work experience. NB this is a minimum criteria. If you just meet the five year’s criteria, then you might want to consider our Emerging Leaders Course.
- An ambition to lead, a sense of purpose and vision
- A desire to better understand leadership
- Self-awareness, authenticity and openness to learning
- A commitment to and passion for the cultural sector
- A curiosity as to the wider context of culture
Our courses are supported by Arts Council England and to be eligible for a subsidised place applicants must be:
- Working in England (normally in the arts, museums and/or libraries sector)
- Committed to developing their career as a cultural leader in England
Applicants outside the UK
We do welcome applications to our courses from applicants based or working outside of the UK, but our unsubsidised course fee would apply and you should check your eligibility for any bursary you are applying for. Our course content is delivered in English and overseas course participants would be responsible for making their own travel arrangements and securing the visas necessary to attend the course.
Costs & Funding
Thanks to funding from Arts Council England, Clore Duffield Foundation, and the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation, we can offer subsidised course fees to eligible applicants. The subsidised fee bands for 2023 are:
- Band A – 1-15 employees: £1,000 +VAT
- Band B – 16- 50 employees: £1,500 +VAT
- Band C – 51-199 employees: £1,800 +VAT
- Band D – 200+ employees: £2,200 +VAT
The unsubsidised cost of a Leadership Pulse course place is £4,700 +VAT. There may be a limited number of unsubsidised places on each course, priority will be given to those who meet the criteria for a subsidised place.
Included in your course fee:
- Accommodation in your own private room for the residential modules at the course venue
- All meals and refreshments (three meals a day as well as regular tea & coffee and refreshment breaks)
Not included in your course fee:
- Travel to and from the venue
- Alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks with or after dinner
Funding & Bursaries
For each round of our courses applications we do include provision of bursary support for course fees. The bursaries we are able to offer vary for each round and details of funding available to
support applicants together with eligibility criteria. This will be announced when the next applications
round goes live.
If you require access support to apply or would prefer to apply using a Word document or a different format, please email [email protected] or you can call us on 0207 420 9430. If we can’t answer leave us a message and we will get back to you.
- Word version application questions (upon request)
- White on black contrast version application questions (upon request)
- BSL version application materials
Supporting your access on the residential course
We will discuss any support you might need with you before the residential to make sure we can make adjustments or put the additional support you need in place. We have worked with many D/deaf, disabled and neurodivergent leaders previously. The support you need is individual to you, but the kinds of things we have put in place before includes, but isn’t limited to:
- Providing a notetaker throughout the residential
- Support for a Personal Assistant to attend with you
- Captioning of residential sessions
- Supporting the costs of BSL interpreters
- Providing written materials in different formats
- Provision of data bundle to support attendance online coaching sessions
Support for those with caring responsibilities
To help support those with caring responsibilities we provide a Carer’s Support Bursary which can support costs of up to £375 for each residential week towards childcare or other caring related costs.
Our residential locations have undergone an access audit which we are able to provide should you wish. The training spaces are ground level, with accessible toilets located nearby. Accessible accommodation is available and we will ask you about your specific requirements prior to the course.
Dates & Venues
Course dates and application timeline will be announced in Spring 2024
We will release details of our next course menu when we go live for our next round of courses applications.