Inclusive Cultures is part of our Inclusive Leadership delivery for Arts Council England’s Transforming Leadership programme, prioritising activities to address existing gaps in diversity in the leadership of culture.
Inclusive Cultures is a six-month disabled-led professional development programme for cultural leaders who are ready to take radical steps towards systemic change and inclusive culture making. The programme draws upon Inclusive Leadership theories and practice, and the lived experiences of D/deaf, disabled and neurodiverse communities using coaching techniques to inform thinking and action.
Inclusive Cultures will work with a group of 55 cultural leaders, who are dedicated to working more equitably. Working as a collective, the programme will support them to challenge inaccessible and stagnant systems, bias and discrimination, with a mindset committed to an inclusive pandemic recovery and beyond, finding solutions for our sector.
We are living in a time where we are having to adjust our practices dramatically in the face of collective cultural shifts, virtual working and different degrees of trauma we are collectively experiencing. This work is paramount, not only for the inclusion of disabled people, but to inform best leadership practice for our uncertain futures.
Inclusive Cultures will run from June 2021 to October 2021 and is led by 7 disabled professional artists and coaches in a collaboration with Diverse City and Clore Diversity Associate, Sarah Pickthall.
- Seminar Sessions will explore and share:
- the latest research in shaping fearless, psychologically safe practice for people, their organisations and projects
- the Social Model as a tool for now, the implications of ableism/disablism and interpellation
- spaces, places and intersections, hierarchies of need and holding onto power
- solutions from our 55 leaders – shaping the way forward in dynamic new ways in an inclusive leadership frame.
- Coaching Conversation sessions will:
- pair our 55 leaders in groups with a coach to consider the seminar content
- work with action learning fundamentals and best practice to drive the solution focused aspect of the programme
- BLOGS – a curated space for sharing and reflection about the programme from our coaches but also over time our cohort to share their refreshed perspectives and ways forward. and the wider conversation on the job of culture change.