“Clore balances practical and necessary learning with an emphasis on self-awareness and self-improvement, encourages you to seek out support and help from the right people, creates a network you can continue your learning through, and gives confidence in the knowledge that leadership takes many guises” Employer of recent Short Course Participant
Our workshops and sessions are grounded in experiential learning. Skilled and thoughtful facilitation throughout the course supports participants learning. Inspiring guest speakers also provide context and a personal viewpoint on the course content.
Course content is divided into three main areas:
An important focus for our courses is exploration of your personal leadership qualities such as values, drivers and authenticity. Early in the residential programme there will be leadership profiling and facilitation to build an understanding of leadership styles and value difference in approaches.
- Leading Others and Managing Resources
The course will also equip you with the skills to assess context and manage resources which is so important in the cultural sector today. These topics include Strategic Business Planning, Financial Management, Governance and Inclusive Leadership.
Working in an increasingly uncertain, volatile and complex world means that navigating change is central to a leader’s role. This residential develops some of the skills and agility required to lead through uncertainty. Subjects include Leading Personal, Team and Organisational Change and Difficult Conversations.
We understand that people learn in different ways and the course design reflects this. It blends practical skills and tools, real-life examples and individual and group learning. There are also opportunities to listen to cultural leaders talk about their experiences of leadership, and what they have learned along the way. Sharing and learning from each other is strongly encouraged.
Other than the first day (see below for arrival time) our day will start at 9am with sessions generally finishing no later than 7.30pm. There are regular scheduled breaks for reflection, recuperation and refreshment. We appreciate the value of networking with the rest of the group so keep any out of ours coursework to a minimum.
• Please note the courses commence at lunchtime on Monday and end mid-afternoon on the Friday.
• The course is fully residential and your attendance is required throughout.
• No teaching sessions are scheduled for weekends, so it is possible to return home if necessary although some find the weekend a useful opportunity to reflect on the learning from the week or to spend time with the other participants. Coaching conversations are also available over the weekend.
• Weekend accommodation and meals are provided.
Our Approach to Leadership Development
Leaders are change-makers. They look forwards and are not content with maintaining the status quo. By focussing on developing the individual, we develop unique, resilient leaders who are more deeply connected to their strengths, their peers, and to the sector and its place in society. There is no single one size fits all template for leading and leadership and we recognise that there are many different successful styles of leadership developed in a myriad of ways.
• Participants learn from a diverse peer group and from the highly experienced leaders and trainers from across and beyond the cultural sector;
• Our values of excellence, inclusivity and learning are at the core of our approach;
• Life-long learning is key to self-leadership. You will be encouraged to cultivate a practice of regular debate and reflection, enquiry and action;
• You will be supported to identify your strengths, your values and areas for further development, building upon your own way of leading currently and developing your capacity to lead well;
• We will ensure that the learning environment and your wellbeing is considered throughout your course. We will create a safe, open and inclusive working space through the experience of our diverse cohort of facilitators, trainers, coaches and through our choice of venues.