"It was an amazing day. I found the speeches very thought provoking, and loved speaking as well. I learnt a lot about governance, which I've taken back to my board, prompting some great conversations." Speaker, 2019 Governance Now
Governance Now, our annual conference presented to you by Clore Leadership and the Cultural Governance Alliance (CGA) exploring the critical issues in cultural governance, returns as an in-person event* from 09:45 – 18:00 on Wednesday 8 February 2023 at Midlands Arts Centre, (MAC) Birmingham (Registration opens from 09:00 at MAC on the day).
This year’s edition of the Governance Now conference explores place-making and civic agendas in the cultural sector and the vital support required from boards and trustees. The need for cultural organisations to respond to topical debates, social issues and local need has never been more urgent, with those involved with governance at the heart of the response. From the cost of living crisis to the ongoing impact of Covid, and with political pressure for the cultural sector to work harder at reaching broader communities, the pressure on boards has never been greater. Governance Now gives trustees and senior leaders the time and space to tackle head-on the critical issues faced and the sector’s responses, exploring questions such as:
● Why is increased representation and equity at board level so difficult to achieve and what steps do organisations need to take to ensure representation of the communities they serve around the table? Governance Now provides workshops giving the chance for delegates to discover and share tools and techniques to enact tangible change.
● What role does cultural sector governance have in ensuring organisations are responding to local need? Engage with speakers who are actively making changes in their communities.
● How do boards ensure that decision-making balances creativity and financial stability with engagement and inclusion? Hear from experts on the challenges of running cultural organisations in the context of a cost-of-living crisis and the legacy of the global pandemic.
The conference day will encompass a range of keynotes, panel discussions and workshops all designed to support trustees and senior leaders. The event will be catered (including a hot and cold finger buffet lunch) and conclude with a networking drinks reception in MAC’s new KILN café-bar after the main programme closes at 17:30.
Confirmed contributors so far:
Sir Nicholas Serota, Chair of Arts Council England
Nicola Turner MBE, Director of Legacy for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
Sukhy Johal MBE, Director of the Centre of Culture & Creativity & Arts Council Chair, Midlands Area
Andrew Lovett OBE, CEO Black Country Living Museum & Chair of Association of Independent Museums
Ri Chakraborty, Trustee, Norwich University of the Arts
Sarah Derbyshire, Orchestras Live
Thanh Sinden, Diversity & Equity Coach
Keith Arrowsmith, Governance Associate, Clore Leadership
Prue Skene, Head Governance Associate, Clore Leadership
Anna Williams, COO Birmingham Royal Ballet
Ammo Talwar MBE, CEO, Punch Records & Chairman, UK Music Diversity Taskforce
Robin Simpson, CEO, Creative Lives
David Johnson, Director of Strategy and Programmes, Cause4
Sarah Gee, CEO Spitalfields Festival
Keshena Partridge-Bowie, Co-Deputy Chair, The Play House
Tim Wheeler, author of Place/s at the Table report into disability & governance
A youth governance workshop is being run by youth-led social enterprise Rising Arts Agency
Governance Now: Championing Communities is kindly sponsored by Green Park
We look forward to welcoming you to Governance Now 2022/23.
As usual, we are offering a tiered ticketing system. If you would like to discuss any options further, please do get in touch CGA@cloreleadership.org
We recognise that some organisations might not be in a position to fund their Chair/Trustee/Aspiring Trustee, etc. – so we are once again providing a rate for individuals paying independently. In addition to the regular rates, below, we are providing:
• Get Into Governance tickets –reserved for those who are currently underrepresented on boards. We’re keen to engage people who identify as LGTBQIA+, working-class, D/deaf, disabled and neurodivergent, those from Black, Asian and Global Majority backgrounds and young people (30 and under) engaged in or aspiring to engage in governance.
• Online Tickets - We are keen to encourage delegates to join us in Birmingham, however, we realise that it will not be possible for everyone to access the in-person event. We are consequently offering an online ticket providing access to a live stream of some plenary sessions during the conference day (via Zoom) – though unfortunately the stream will not be able to include all break-out sessions, workshops and networking breaks. This content will also recorded and exclusively available to in-person and online conference delegates after the event.
Promotions and Offers
Organisations sending multiple delegates to the conference can apply a 50% discount code. Click the 'Enter promo code' blue link in the left corner of the ticket window before selecting tickets and enter MULTIBUY22 to apply the discount before purchasing. (A maximum of 2 tickets can be purchased per person).
We are delighted to offer CGA Members a 10% discount on tickets - but hurry – this discount only applies until 30 November!
Sign up to the CGA here to receive your discount code and apply this at the checkout on Eventbrite.
Discount codes cannot be applied retrospectively when tickets have been already purchased. Refunds can be accepted up to 7 days before the event, though any Eventbrite fees will not be refundable.
Tickets purchased by organisations
Ticket for one person from a large organisation (100 or more full time employees)
Full Rate: £200 + VAT CGA Members: £180 + VAT
Ticket for one person from a medium organisation (16-99 full time employees)
Full Rate: £160 + VAT CGA Members: £144+ VAT
Ticket for one person from a small organisation (1-15 full time employees)
Full Rate: £125 + VAT CGA Members: £112.50 + VAT
Tickets purchased by Individuals: please name the organisation you are representing in your registration
Individual Ticket regular rate
Full Rate: £75 + VAT CGA Members: £67.50 + VAT
Get Into Governance Ticket (see criteria above for this ticket)
Full Rate: Full Rate: £25 + VAT CGA Members: £22.50 + VAT
Online Ticket (providing access to a live stream of some plenary sessions during the conference day via Zoom and recording after the event. The stream will not be able to include all break-out sessions, workshops and networking breaks)
Full Rate: £25 + VAT CGA Members: £22.50 + VAT
We don’t want the cost of the event to be a barrier to attendance. If you are keen to attend but will struggle to afford a ticket at the relevant rate, or travel to and from the conference, we have a small number of bursaries available. To find out more, please get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
“This year was great, and it had to be digital - but can't wait to be back in person, or with hybrid mix.” Governance Now 2021 delegate